Congratulations to Loan Nguyen on being CFR’s April Member of the Month. She is a loyal member of the 5pm class and recently jumped into her first Olympic weightlifting cycle. She saw some impressive gains after constantly working on her technique, including Snatch (+8lb), Clean and Jerk (+5lb) and Back Squat (+15lb) PR’s! Not only is she quite the inspiration, but she has quite the story. Lastly, we cannot say “Thank you” enough! The entire CFR community appreciates your 15+ years of Military service. Congrats Loan, keep up the good work!
1) What are your hobbies/interest/talents outside of CrossFit?
I enjoy baking, hiking, and volunteering.
2) Share with us one thing that most people do NOT know about you?
I was overweight towards the end of high school and weighed about 45 pounds more than I do now. Clearly, I was unhappy and looking to get in shape through all the wrong means. I needed a better and more permanent solution to overall health and fitness so that was partly why I enlisted in the Army Reserves back in June 2002 (Of course, free money for college was a major determining factor). I lost over 20 pounds and being in the military was the catalyst for change I needed and I was pushed in every way imaginable. In January 2012, I left the Army Reserves and commissioned as a First Lieutenant (now Captain) into the CT Army National Guard. On drill weekends, I work as a Behavioral Health Officer and provide mental health services to our soldiers. In short, joining the Army was one of the best decisions I’ve made. Hooah!
3) How long have you been with us at CFR?
About 3 years
4) Take us back to your first week here. How did you feel? Remember the workout?
My first week at CFR was kind of a blur… After each WOD, I was immobile for several days due to all the burpees, squats, and box jumps. Oy!
5) What moment/achievement are you most proud of at CFR?
Recently, I was able to back squat more than my body weight. All thanks to Derek’s Olympic program. Maybe one day, I’ll be cool enough to join the 200# club.
6) Design your perfect workout?
300 ab-mat sit ups for time?
7) What is your least favorite movement?
Snatches for sure!
8) Summarize your lifestyle in 5 words or less.
Without (physical/mental) challenge, there’s no growth.
9) Have you experienced any changes in your lifestyle now that you have been a CrossFit athlete?
Absolutely! CrossFit has become a huge part of my lifestyle and is instrumental in helping me achieve my fitness goals. Last year, I made a commitment to incorporate more mindful eating and exercise into my routine. According to my BIA testing results, I lost 10 pounds, dropped 6.9% body fat, and gained 4.6% lean skeletal muscle mass in the past year. I’d consider that a win in my book 🙂
10) What advice do you have for anyone who is thinking about joining or who has recently joined?
Just do it. It will hurt, but in a good way 🙂